[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:35:47 UTC 2012

Matt, welcome to the list. I think when you have your first dog, you are often reaching out to the edges with your feet to make sure where they are. You could take a folding cane with you and check this from time to time, but the dog will lead you pretty much down the walks without going crooked. We sometimes tend to go crooked with the cane, not so with the dog. I can remember having a sense of width much greater than it was when I started using a dog because I wasn't always going off the walk. I think the steps/curbs have been well described. I think, too, that the dog's head may point up a little or down a little if you are approaching a curb or step. Strangely, though, as I think about it, I'm not completely sure this is true. Guess I need to go for a walk and see.

As for other pets, I have two other dogs. They came here after I got my current guide. I would say that when you first get home you might want to pay the most attention to this dog's needs, though you can certainly tend the others if necessary.

Cindy Lou