[nagdu] Thinking of getting a guide dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 14:00:38 UTC 2012

Matt,

Welcome!  I'm Julie, working with Monty my owner trained lab and Boxer
guide.  I trained him the same way that everyone is describing.  He'll
stop a few inches before a step down, drop off, hole etc.  I move a bit
more forward from where I follow him when we are moving, so that I am
pretty close to where his shoulders are.  Then I reach out with my foot
to find the exact place of the edge if there is one.  He will stop at a
street corner even if the curb is blended.  In that case if I'm not sure
where I am exactly I'll reach out with my foot to the side where I can
feel the curb where it isn't blended into the street.  I hope I'm
explaining that okay.  This rarely happens, only maybe if I'm in an
unfamiliar area and there is no traffic to know where the street is.

Generally if there is junk on the sidewalk Monty will take me around
without any input from me.  However if he needs to go out to the street
or he needs to make a large adjustment to our path of travel, he will
stop and wait for further instructions from me.  Sometimes I have a clue
what is going on and sometimes I don't.  Usually I will ask Monty to go
around.  If that doesn't work, I'll double back and choose an entirely
different path.  I can probably count the number of times this has
happened on one hand.

For steps up Monty is supposed to put his feet up on the bottom step.
Because he is so tall he can get away with stepping up two stairs which
I am working on retraining back to just the first step.  Also if you pay
attention to the sounds and the way they echo you can figure out if the
stairs are going up or down before you approach.  Some dogs are also
taught to indicate the stair railing with their nose.

The dog will indicate anything he has been taught to find, door handles,
trash cans, empty chaires etc with his nose.  Then you reach out with
your hand to locate the object.

Of course if all else fails and I am hopelessly clueless about what
Monty is trying to communicate to me, I will get out my folding cane and
check it out.  I did this more in the beginning, but not so much in the
past couple of years.  Still it's a handy tool if I need it.

HTH
Julie