[nagdu] Lots of Questions

lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 17:58:13 UTC 2012

Hi all,
My name is Lizzy and I am a high school junior living in the
suburbs of Pennsylvania.  This fall I will be applying to a few
guide dog schools in the hopes of attending one in the summer of
2013.  I am posting here to ask for your opinion and advice.  I
have done a good amount of research on the schools but now I need
more subjective information so that I can be sure to make the
right decision next summer.  I know that most schools are less
likely to give a high school student a guide dog, but from
talking to different staff, a few guide dog handlers and my O & M
instructor I think I would be a good candidate.  Here are my
questions:
Have any of you had dog guides in high school? If so, what were
some of the benefits/struggles?
Which schools are more likely to give guides to high school
students?
Will the fact that I live in the suburbs effect me in any way?
(Ex: Getting in to a school, needing to go to the city more often
etc)
How easy/hard is it to take care of a dog and take a challenging
course load (I'm in three AP's this year and hopefully will be
taking more during my senior year)?
Can you give me any general advice that you think will be helpful
in terms of saving up money, preparing my family etc.
Thanks,
Lizzy
P.S.  I've already spoken to administration at my school and I
will be giving a presentation on the first day (next year) for
all of the students.  Yes, I know, I like to be prepared.  :)