[nagdu] Lots of Questions

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 19:12:19 UTC 2012

Hi Lizzy.

I received my dog while I was still in high school.  I went to Guiding
Eyes for the Blind the Summer before my senior year.  Like you, I
lived in the suburbs and took a rather difficult course load.  I took
five AP courses my senior year.  It worked out for me because I went
to a big high school and was involved in a lot of various activities.

I think the important thing to remember is that high school is a
difficult environment for a dog, not impossible by any means, but the
food and gumb on the floor, the kids, and the constant activity will
make it an environment filled with distractions.  As long as you
listen to the instruction given by your school, I'm sure you'll do
fine.  Do obedience every day, and spend time on those issues your dog
needs to work on.  For example, my dog was very eistracted by food.
This was before we went to high school.  But we worked and worked on
it over the Summer, and now she behaves quite nicely around food for
the most part.

As long as you keep your dog on a good schedule in high school and
give it enough work outside of school as well as inside school, you
will probably do well.  Also, you have to decide how you want to
handle the other students' interaction with the dog.  I simply stood
up on the first day of school and introduced my dog and told everyone
that she could not be petted or talked to because she is working.  The
teachers helped me inforce these rules, and it worked out well.  I
can't say I had one problem.  It helped that I had friends who would
tell off anyone who was illegally petting my dog.  :)

Please feel free to email me off list with any questions.  I think
your situation is rather close to what mine was.

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16