[nagdu] New Guide Dog user with Questions

Jessica cloudedleopard2010 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 23:16:56 UTC 2012

Mona,
As Jenny has stated I also can not answer all of your questions since have a
different situation from you but I will answer what I can. First as to the
testing. Yes that is normal. As annoying as it may be since they reacted
more or less perfectly in class (with instructors looking on) it is normal.
Also, in reference to Jenny's point about nervous/relaxed behavior that is
true. The more nervous you are the more frazzled Ismeal may get causing
mistakes that may not normally happen. Consequently the more relaxed you are
the more relaxed he will be and your work relationship will go more
smoothly. As to your issue with your friend I believe you were correct. Y
you didn't make a big deal out of it in the store and tried to explain/show
her why you made the corrections you did. I also believe though that some
people really don't know what it is to work with a service dog so think they
can butt into your business. I find this to be the case with not only
strangers but family and friends even if they state they understand the
relationship. As to how Ismeal reacts when your son is with you I second
several comments made by other listers your school needs to be contacted.
Yes they should have already know you had a small child and worked with not
only Ismeal but you and Ismeal around young small children so he wouldn't
become so inattentive when your son is walking with you.
Hope this helps.
Jessica

Jessica Snyder
Guiding Eyes Graduate Council