[nagdu] Fake service dogs provoke resentment, possible rule changes

Bunny Davidson bunnydavidson at live.com
Sat Dec 1 00:43:58 UTC 2012

WOW! great thread everyone, thanks for sharing - and thanks for posting this article...
I concur with those who mentioned the 'nerve' of complete strangers who think they
are entitled to ask the most private things just because we use a service dog-
I have been asked by many 'what is your dog for?' , you don't look disabled, what's wrong with you?
or my favorite one; what can i do to get a vest like that for my dog?
Like Lyn said, i tell people stuff depending on where they seem to be 'coming from'.

Sometimes when a nosy Nellie asks what my disability is and what does my dog do for me,
 i like to (tongue in cheek) say something like;

"I have severe PTSD and my dog will disarm me if i draw my weapon at rude people...."
that one is one of my favorite 'i'm not the person you wanna F with answers'
or sometimes if im not that feisty and i sense the person thinks they are "just making conversation"

I smile at them and say; you know what- since you seem so interested in my private medical issues
why don't you show me your personal medical files from all your doctors, once i read it i'll get back to you
with a copy of mine for you to pursue...

or the short nicer response, " Do you know how many years and people Ive dealt with those who don't have the manners to know that that kind of questioning is very inappropriate to ask a complete stranger?"

I have to say, some days i just 'wish' i could use the PTSD one on somebody just to blow off some frustration of having to figure out and struggle how to do stuff, or ask a stranger for help on something everyday-mundane that 'seems' EASY or no big deal to someone without a disability.

blessings to you all...
bunny & Sugar ray (one day at a time)