[nagdu] a little help calming me down please

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Dec 1 14:02:25 UTC 2012

Daniel,

I agree with what others have said about controlling your breathing to
keep calm and to talk very openly to the staff at the school.  I also
wanted to say that trust comes gradually and that there may very well be
times when you have difficulty in trusting the new dog.  that's totally
normal.   It doesn't mean that you aren't doing things right and it
doesn't mean that the new dog is a failure.  It just means that it will
take time and patience. Also the new dog will not be perfect.  that's
normal too.

Toward the end of working Belle she was afraid of lawnmowers
especially.  I couldn't walk down the same side of the street where
someone was mowing.  Over a year later when I was training Monty I found
myself strategizing how to best pass the lawn mower. It had become habit
to alter course for Belle that I had started to do the same thing for
Monty, even though he doesn't care about lawn mowers.  I made myself
walk down that sidewalk just a few feet away from the mower, a part of
me screaming that my dog was going to flip out and the other part of me
with a smug grin and arms crossed saying I told you so.

There are other examples but that one stands out in my head.  It was a
bit easier each time we'd pass a lawn mower or other small machine type
thing.  But that trust in Monty had to develop over time.  Once was not
enough for me to feel completely at ease.  There are really two hurdles
to overcome, trusting the new dog and reconditioning yourself to respond
differently than you did with the last dog.

I think some worry is completely understandable and normal.  I am a bit
concerned with your describing it as extreme anxiety attacks though.  If
your anxiety attacks are interfering with your ability to do the routine
things you normally participate in, then I think that might be best
helped by a professional.   I realize you are leaving tomorrow morning
and need something to help right away.  So here are some ideas on
relaxation:
meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, controlled breathing
exercises, stretching, yoga, a hot bath, massage, soft music, comforting
smells like lavender, hot tea especially chamomile, exercise and
hypnosis.  If you need more information on any of these write me off
list and I'll send you links.

Wishing you all the best!
Julie