[nagdu] Scratching my head

Katrin Andberg katrin.andberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 21:28:03 UTC 2012

No, unless the person meets the legal definition of disabled, it is not
legal for them to take a dog trained into public spaces as a service dog.
The laws pertain to the Person with Disability and that person's rights.  A
service dog itself has no rights.  So unless the person using the dog is
disabled, that person does not have rights as granted to those persons with
disabilities.

The law states that the dog must be specifically trained to mitigate the
disability.  So for example, if I had a dog that was only trained to open
doors and turn on/off light switches, that dog would not be considered a
service dog for me as my disability does not require me to need assistance
opening doors and turning on/off light switches.  Now if that same dog was
also trained in guide work, which is a task set that I do need assistance
with due to my disability, then that specific dog could be a service dog for
me.

Also if I remember right there was something I read regarding dogs being
used as service dogs that were also trained in personal protection/bite
work.  If I remember right, something about the dog being considered a
concealed weapon and therefore not legal.

Katrin