[nagdu] guide dog question

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 20:34:09 UTC 2012

Jessica, folks will always tell you what they think you should be doing with
your dog.  Personally, I've never massaged mine much.  I do rub her neck
however.  There is no real reason you can't use the chain if you want.  I
did change collars however.  Sence Holly is part poodle, I didn't like her
hair getting caught up in the chain.  I first found a chain that had pink
threads through the links which is less harsh.  Then, I tried a collar from
I think, Timberwolf.  Well, that last didn't last long!  So, I finally found
Softline.  This is a flat collar but you put it on like the check chain.  My
name for the so-called choke chain.  After all, that thing isn't there to
choke our dogs but to check there behavior.  Anyway, Softline collars come
in lots of colors and patterns.  They are kind of hard to find but not
terribly expensive.  You can leave them on and they look like regular
collars for the most part.  But they work like the chains.  The only thing
I've noticed from the chains is that the fur around the neck tends to get
thinner, but not always.  As far as I know, none of the schools use
Softlines. Probably because they cost about about twice what the chains do.
One last point, everyone loves to tell you how cruel we are to our dogs,
what they should eat, when they should drink, how much time they get off and
any number of things they!! think we should be doing!  Chains, a good and
regular diet, and consistancy never hurts your dog.  I got yelled at for
correcting Holly in church once!  She was holding up the line sniffing and
trying to go about holly buisness in the church doorway.  Folks were eager
to come in so I corrected Holly and folks were offended.  Well, they did get
to go in afterwards so it served its purpose.  You have to decide whats
worth keepping and what's not.  I'm not putting you down or anything because
folks always tell me what they think I should be doing and sometimes I think
its worth it and sometimes not.  The collar thing for example was really my
idea.  I didn't want to have Holly look like any other dog.  And, it took me
awhile to find those Softline collars!