[nagdu] guide dog question

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Dec 10 21:34:47 UTC 2012

Jessica,

Interesting questions! I've learned bits and pieces of T touch and used
that and other calming massage techniques on my husband's rescue
coonhound who needed all that calming she could get! It worked really
well with her. I use some on Mitzi, my poodle guide, as well, and on the
pup, just because it's nice bonding and cuddling. /smile/

I'm a positive trainer and trained my own guide, so that affects how I
deal with unwanted behaviors at home or in harness. I do use a Gentle
Leader on the poodle guide to keep track of the nose, which can be
adventurous all on its own, there at the end of the long, supple poodle
neck. So I can use the GL to tell what the nose is doing, and that has
become a key part of our communication. At need, I can also use it to
inhibit when she turns into Ms. Sniff, or to pull her head around away
from a distraction, which is negative reinforcement. Then I can reward
for the wanted behavior I ask for.

For my husband's mutt puppy, now 14 months, I've had to play around
finding what works. A head collar won't stay on her short, wide snout,
and she has no neck, so we use a nylon martingale collar, much like the
one Larry describes. She is also super strong, so when we're out and
about, I won't take the leash unless she is wearing her martingale style
prong collar. It has nylon tips over the metal prongs, so is relatively
gentle. Because it is also self-correcting, I have a fighting chance of
not losing an arm or experimenting with human flight. /lo/ I'm
considering giving the pup some basic guide dog training, but am first
working on more leash training and then will practice around the house
using the prong collar with the harness... She's a good girl, but a pup,
so... Flying across the street against my will is not something I want
to do! /lo/ With Mitzi, I could just brace myself and stand when she got
rowdy as a youngster. With this one... I need a sure way of control, and
that is all there is to it.

I agree strongly with others who have said that what collar you use and
how will depend mostly upon your dog and you. If your dog is showing
signs of being stressed, it could be that moderating the amount and type
of correction you use could really help. Or adding more reward for
wanted behavior. With a new dog, I do think you need to go with the way
that dog was trained. But finding out the best balance for both of you
will come along as part of the team building process. Or so it seems to
me. /smile/

Best with your new pup!

Tami