[nagdu] Doberman guide dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Dec 24 01:59:00 UTC 2012

Lyn,

Oh, well said! My shorthand for all of that is as follows: Humans are a
dangerous breed!

Dobies did get screwed up there for awhile by show breeders as well as
aggression breeders. They were bred for the smaller head, which would
cause them to go crazy when their brains got too big for the tiny skull.
/shudder/

The breed has been undergoing rehah from more responsible breeders for
some years now, so they're back to being intelligent, well-balanced
dogs. Whew! Yes, they can be trained to be *very* effective guard dogs.
So then some humans will try to get one and make it mean to be a faux
guard dog, which is different. Sigh.

So they still have a street rep, as do pits now, and rotties still and
GSDs and... Sigh. People do bad things to dogs who then do bad things,
so it's the dog's fault? Um... Whatever. /grim smile/

Actually, of course, from what I hear, the most statistically dangerous
breed is... wait for it! .... drum roll, please! ... The poodle! Yup.
Part of those statistics come from the smaller versions, bred down from
the standard poodle. But the standard version is, well, from what I can
see, a lot like the dobie. Very velcro, one person dogs, attached to
family but shy of strangers, a bit territorial and guardy, etc., etc.
They just look like adorable little stuffed animals... Which means a
poodle guide gets all sorts of hands on interference! I have met people
who were bitten by one of the early poodle guides... But I think the
programs have adapted to that quirky temperament over the years.

I, too, have grown to love the sweet, well-bred and well-mannered pit
bulls out there. I would hate to be on the wrong end of the other kind
when it was out of control, but that doesn't mean the entire breed is
bad. Just those who are bred for aggression and/or mishandled and/or
treated abusively to make them mean. Again, that comes down to humans. Sigh.

Since I've always loved dobies, I'm glad the breed has been rehabbed by
responsible breeders. And I'm seeing more and more square, great GSDs
from responsible breeders. Wonderful! I've gotten quite fond of having a
nonshedding dog in my poodle, but I still love to encounter a great,
healthy, athletic shepherd! /smile/

Tami