[nagdu] new reader, passive dogs and ooh, the cold weather!

Daniel daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 22:28:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

Hello to Eve, Daniel from Denver here. I have the new dog, Cass from GDB in
Portland. Welcome and congratulations on your new baby too!

Yes, it is the fit that counts.

So far, so good in the work department since we have returned. The little
tests have begun, and are being dealt with accordingly.

As usual the weather in Denver is as unpredictable as always. Cold and snow
and ice seems to be the order of the day now. Not the best working
conditions for a new guide dog, who has not been exposed to the snow and ice
in her 2 short years.

It doesn't help that her papa is a klutz. I decided to take a fall with Cass
by the curb while we were working the other day. I am not blaming her for
this incident, as it was my fault for being too close to the curb. She was
in the correct position, I was not. To make a long story short, it was quite
a fall on the ice, and I believe it shook her up quite a bit.

She continued to walk at an extremely slow pace, which was very appreciated,
but now it seems she is a bit wary of going out on the snow and ice covered
walks at all.

I have talked to my trainer and she said this is fine for now, as it is
better not to force her right now, and I certainly agree. We just want to
make sure she gets her exercise and learns that snow is fun <NOT>. We have
gone out in the back common area on a long lead and run around a bit, and
played around on the floor.

She is not a real play hound either, like some others have said - rather
passive. She will lay by me while I am sitting, or walking on the computer,
or doing something in the kitchen. The thing is we are also in the
"breaking-in" phase, where I still have her on the leash while we get used
to the new surroundings. Whew, what complications!

I worry about her getting bored, or me making some kind of mistake during
this precious period of acclamation. It is so easy for me to give those
human attributes to the dog, that I put all of her comfort and welfare above
my peaceful state of mind. I call it my "nervous new papa syndrome", and
just want this experience to go well.

It is several blocks, more like 7, to the bus stop. If these can be managed
to get to safely, I think we would be able to get to some mall work either
this weekend, or next week. The new volunteer work should be starting up
about mid-January.  It's just getting through these rough few days.

Oh well, Happy New Year to all, ain't it grand to have a partner

Daniel Sweeney

Lakewood, CO