[nagdu] Boy, I Feel So Dumb...

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 22:03:54 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Subject says it all.
Yesterday morning while I was getting Odie ready to go on our trip to the bowling alley to meet our other members of the Milehigh Blind Bowlers League, he started being a brat while I was trying to groom him and spray his coat with deodorizing spray so he would smell good.
When I would go to the try can to empty the brush from what it seemed three to four times because of the drastic weather change, he immediately ran off into the living room and I'd have to call him back.
Normally, he does really well with grooming while he will stand still and allow me to brush him, but I think Odie knew something wasn't right and he had a preminition something was going to happen with me.
I finally finished brushing him up, and he ate his food after I put his nylon harness, collar and orange vest on.
We went downstairs a little after 8:00 AM to wait for our Accessaride pick up.
Now to fastforward...
While I was on the lane preparing to roll my bowling ball off the ramp that is specialized for bowling balls, I ended up having a small seizure.
My friend cathy Sowl asked me if I was all right.
I told her I was find and openly admitted to her I was trying to process everything in my mind on what was happening and why I was doing it.
She told me that it was all right for me to take my time and that if I needed to sit down, let her or someone else know.
Cathy described how I it looked like I wasn't there for a few minutes and my eyes were starting to roll back and that I did look a little pale.
After all of this, I had to learn the hard way that Odie was alerting of a seizure and he was desperately trying to let me know.
I had to figure it out for myself later on as it was totally my fault.
Boy, I feel so dumb...
Odie and I are still learning how to read each other since he is a medical alert service dog.
I can confess that in the beginning, I had to learn to do the same thing when he was a guide dog: read his movements upon communicating with him through body language.
As for the seizure I had yesterday, I am doing fine, but was definitely worn out, so ended up resting for a little while today.
Odie has been hanging out with me on the bed, but he wanted to make sure that he was close enough to me so that he'd watch over me.
Unfortunately during the seizure yesterday, Odie was upstairs on tie-down as having him and the other dogs near the lanes is a safety hazard, especially on the same floor where the bowling is done.
So, I put him upstairs on tie-down underneath a table where they have sitting stools to tie the leashes or tie-downs to.
Because Al and Lisa Travers were over there as we had a bake sale going on, I felt that Odie was all right.
If Lisa and Al would have not been there, I wouldn't be surprised if Odie broke his tie-down, come running down the stairs on to thebowling lane to be there with me in case I would have gone down.
Happily, that didn't have to happen.
Advice I can give although many of us dog handlers have been told it over and over bunches of times; listen to what your dog is telling you.
Odie and I also would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year's day.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf