[nagdu] Removing Harness and Leash for Security Re: flyingwithPrincess for the first time

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:25:01 UTC 2012

Nicole:

I do not understand why Laurie's comments regarding harness removal have
upset you so much.  She is sharing what she was taught/told, and you are
doing the same.

I agree with not removing the harness simply because there is that
slight chance that the security folks will misplace it...more rediculous
things have managed to happen.  I believe in the situation Laurie is
referring to, the harness was actually disassembled, as in, the
stitching was undone and the harness was reduced to straps of leather.
I have heard of at least one situation where this occurred.

A guide without a harness can no longer guide.  What happens if a fire
starts while your harness is being scanned and everyone runs and you
cannot work your guide because her harness is off and somewhere you
cannot get to?  I am not in any way saying you are in the wrong for
doing things as you do, but I do think it is fare to understand why some
programs explain to their consumers why it may be best to keep all of
the dog's equipment on.

I definitely relate to the wish to not have to go through the patdown
process with your dog, so I totally see your side of it as well, but I
do not think any offense was intended towards your preferred method.

If security insisted I remove my guide's harness, I would refuse simply
because then we cannot work together. I am dependent on
someone/something else to navigate after going through security until I
hopefully get my harness back in the same condition it was in when I
handed it over.

Dayton and both of my previous guides have been fantastic while going
through security, and they would behave just as well without the harness
on, but if I needed to get somewhere in a hurry, I would have to wait
for the harness to be returned.

I hope that makes sense.  You can come out from under your rock. Grin!

Meghan