[nagdu] Running

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 19:40:46 UTC 2012

Tina,

My dog could run 5K. I'm still working up to 100 yards. /lol/

I started getting myself into a little jogging when Mitzi was a pup and
needed all sorts of running most of the time. /lol/ I needed the
physical therapy and walking, so... It worked. I could consider her run
play time multitasking for me. /smile/ So she would see me attempting to
jog on nice, friendly turf and losing my nerve and forgetting to
breathe. Sheesh! It took me forever to get past that part.

Anyway, she likes to make a game -- which turned into honest task
training -- of helping me orient while I jog so that I could get used to
that feeling again and build up some endurance and, you know, nerve.
/lol/ Actually, it's that thing of ours I call jingle guiding or squeak
guiding (if she has a squeaky ball) that comes in handy on hikes in some
places. Since Mitzi is owner-trained and was pack-raised until 7 months,
running around with a big family of dogs, I was able to just start with
her off leash training really quickly.

I don't recommend at all that anyone take their program-trained dog out
and turn them loose. First, most programs will get real bent out of
shape about that. Also, puppies being raised to be guide dogs are rarely
given the chance to run wile run free in their formative years, so then
starting off leash training for them means working very, very carefully
because the dog doesn't know the dangers and is likely to go nuts with
freedom in a way that will end badly. I'm just talking about how I've
worked with my own dog within our own context. /smile/

Anyway, I've finally worked up my nerve to run on the walking trails
with Mitzi on leash or in harness. She does amazingly well, which is
good of her because of my issues with nerves. /lol/ Then with my own
psyche because I am *not* -- I repeat *NOT* -- a nervous little old lady
to scaredy-cat to jog. Not me, no how! /lol/

Mitzi seems to think this is very amusing and is happy to just lead her
weird handler down the trail for fun. Whew! Gotta love this poodle. /grin/

For jogging and even hiking, I really prefer my sport harness because it
allows for a whole lot of independent movement while giving good
communication. I haven't tried even a tiny jog with the Laveau style for
comparison, but I love that for most things that aren't wild and crazy.
/lol/

I don't know how holding the harness handle would really work out for
something like the 5K, though, because of how it would affect your one
arm and running motion. I've heard of people running distances with
their dog for guidance, so maybe we will find out. /smile/

If you can be sure the running route is clear of underfoot obstacles and
large gaping holes -- and I would hope it would be! -- some sort of
modified leash guiding might work. The dog could give you orientation as
you run without hampering your movements. Like I say, I'm just working
out the jogging with dog thing, but that is how it seems to me. I think
a lot would depend on you and your dog both.

This is really interesting! Let us know what you decide and how it works
out!

Tami