[nagdu] Passing of GDF's first graduate Vito Vero

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun Feb 12 17:16:03 UTC 2012

I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman in 1996 at our 50th anniversary
celebration. I am greatly saddened to bring everyone in the guide dog
community this news from Wells Jones, our CEO.

We are saddened to report that Vito Vero, the Guide Dog Foundation's first
graduate in 1946, passed away in February 2012 after a massive stroke.
Vero was just 21 when Ingy, a white Labrador/Husky mix with bright blue
eyes, entered his life. Blinded at 19, Vero had relied on a cane to get
around, but always wanted a guide dog. He was placed on a long waiting list
at an established school but, fortunately, he found out about a new school
opening in Queens that provided guide dogs.
On the first class in 1946, Vero was one of two students. Vero and his
fellow student, the late Arthur Torgesen, became the first two people
trained by renowned dog trainer William Holzmann.
At a luncheon for Guide Dog Foundation staff in 2007, Vero recalled, "Back
then, we stayed at the trainers' homes" because there was no Guide Dog
Foundation campus until 1952.  Holzmann trained the two men for seven weeks
while they lived with him.
 "It wasn't easy back then," Vero said. "The Guide Dog Foundation was new
and William Holzmann had been an attack dog trainer in the Army so he needed
to learn from us just as much as we needed to learn from him."
Holzmann had to teach his students and their dogs how to get around fire
hydrants, baby carriages, down subway stairs and through revolving doors;
obstacles sighted people don't really notice.

A new life
"I was working with my father as a carpenter since I was 10 years old," Vero
joked, but after he had lost his sight, "I needed a new job."
A friend told Vero about working with photography. "'How can I do
photography when I can't see?'" Vero remembered he told his friend. He
laughed when he recalled his friend's reply: "I have just the job for you -
working in a darkroom."
As a darkroom technician, Vero learned how to develop film, perforate it,
and add soundtracks to a TV show or movie.
"I worked for Technicolor Studios and many other studios," Vero said. "I
developed the film for I Dream of Jeanie, Hogan's Heroes, and Superman."
Because there were no lights and the brightness didn't hurt his eyes, the
darkroom proved to be an ideal place for the young man.
Ingy and Vero became true partners. The dog would help Vero travel to his
job, or take him to the barbershop, or to the grocery store.
               In addition to his work in film and television, Vero often
spoke on behalf of the Guide Dog Foundation, sharing how his life had
changed thanks to his guide dogs. He was a trailblazer for the rights of
people to be accompanied by their guide dog, no matter where they go.
               "One time, I was upstate (N.Y.) with a friend, and we wanted
to go to dinner. The manager told us we couldn't come in with a dog," Vero
recalled. "'But I'm blind,' I said, 'this is my guide dog.'"
               The manager still refused, so Vero went and called the
highway patrol who showed up and told the manager he would face a fine if he
didn't let Vero in. Finally, the manager allowed them to eat in the diner.
For 60 years, Vero used guide dogs - seven in all. "Each one had their own
unique personality," he said. "The one thing they had in common was they
were all good workers!"
It wasn't until 2006, at the age of 81, that he retired his last guide. "My
legs ain't what they used to be," he joked at the 2007 luncheon. "Life was
always easier with a guide dog."
At Volunteer Recognition Day in 2011, on the 65th anniversary of its
founding, the Foundation was pleased to honor Vito Vero.
               Vero is survived by his daughters, a NUMBER OF grandchildren,
and his friends at the Guide Dog Foundation.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeninems