[nagdu] Dogs At Work

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Feb 12 20:31:25 UTC 2012

Marion,
That's great that GDF stills teaches leash guiding.  I remember that from
the '70s when I got my first two dogs from GDF.

At our blind center, I keep Landon in harness as most of the other guide dog
users do.  This keeps the dogs behaving well.  Our rules are that the dog
must be on leash with the person or tied to a table when we step away from
the table we're at for a class or meeting.  Our executive director has
sometimes violated this rule herself and her dog almiost wwent outside with
no harness or leash on the dog - that is, the dog was alone and the person
was in her office and didn't even know that her dog went out in the lobby
and was almost let outside by some people leaving the building.  I chewed
her out and just got a goofy grin in response.  Whatever...

I have another friend who worked in a hospital.  She allowed her dog to be
loose in the confines of the department where she worked and also in her
office.  She allowed her dog to be loose in the classroom with her diabetes
support group AFTER getting permission from all concerned. The partients
LOVED that dog.  So did the other people in the offices. Then, during my
friend's last year of employment there - before she retired - the dog was
confined to a crate in her office.  The neew office manager hated dogs but
knew she had to allow the guide dog.  Things became negative there and my
friend retired at the right time.  And the dog loving workers miss getting
visits by my friend's dog.  The dog was well behaved at all times and
provided some comic relief to both patients and staff - until the crappy
manager came along to spoil things!

Lyn and Landon