[nagdu] guide dog teams and them rough moments

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 01:16:19 UTC 2012

Hi, Cindy,
I think that each guide dog team faces many challenges on a daily basis and
my first guide, Orleans was stubron.
He'd get plenty of time to go potty during park time and if he didn't do
what he was supposed to, I was then instructed by an instructor during
training that he had to wait until another time.
Still, there was one time he did drop a number two in harness on route and
in the beginning, he also did a number one too.
Same thing happened during training at Pilot.
The dogs were given time and opportunity to go and if they didn't they'd
have to wait until another opportunity.
I had it the roughest with Odie during training as my four-legged furry kid
didn't like to squat down on the concreete slab, more due to his paw pads
continuously being soft and moist.
Honestly, I was almost ready to pack my stuff up and give up on him.
Thankfully, the executive director and friens who were very supportive of me
weren't going to allow that to happen.
Out of all my guides, Odie definitely gave me a run for my money during
training.
There are still them times when he is hard headed and stubron like me and
wants to do things his way.
Since he is getting older now, I give him more park times while out and
about to avoid any possible accidents.
I've begin to notice more that since he is slowly aging, his bladder muscles
are starting to slowly weaken and while moving around, more stimulation will
happen too.
I had it rough with Freedom David berry in the beginning too and I'm sure
when I get that next dog, it just doesn't get any easier, especially the
retirement part.
That's something I don't plan on thinking about just yet at least.
*Smiles*
Bibi, husband Dale and Odie
medical alert service dog
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf