[nagdu] Concrete was Re: going off leash

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Tue Feb 14 01:49:49 UTC 2012

I take Lexia in grass, bark, gravel, or whatever is available that is not
concrete. Since leaving GDB, she has not gone on concrete except for one
time when it was an accident that was more my fault than hers. I like that
she does not go on concrete. It is a good line for her:
I am on concrete, I do not relieve myself.
When it is time for her to do her business, I just slip off the harness and
direct her toward the grass, and she knows what is expected of her without
any further instructions. That being said, she also has a pretty regular
schedule, so she knows when it is time. Dogs may not understand units of
time, but they can have a deadly accurate internal clock, especially when it
comes to expecting their dinner and having an empty belly...