[nagdu] nail trimming was Worlds best pet store + dog grooming = wicked amazing!

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 22 14:31:59 UTC 2012

John,

Welcome to the list!  I'm thinking you are new.  If my memory is
incorrect please excuse my error.

Nails...how to leave them is a bit of an art.  If you've had them
clipped at a vet or a groomer or from the guide dog school, you can use
that as a reference for how long they should be.  Generally speaking the
nails should not touch the floor when the dog is standing in a relaxed
posture on a flat surface.  If you hear a lot of nails clicking on the
floor when the dog walks, that is probably also an indication that they
are too long.  Some dogs though will click their nails on the floor just
because of the way they move their feet when walking.

I generally take off a very small amount and trim more frequently.  The
exact amount is difficult to say...I'll take a guess and say 2 or 3
millimeters maybe?  It also depends on the particular dog.  My current
working guide Monty doesn't need his nails clipped very often.  I could
probably get away with trimming them two or three times a year.  He's
very active and is probably wearing them down himself.  I do run the
PediPaws over his nails every few weeks, just so he remembers to behave
himself.  I'm taking off a miniscule amount though.

With my older dog, I trim maybe every 2 to 4 weeks.  More in the winter
because snow doesn't wear down the nails as much as cement does!  Her
nails also seem to grow faster than my younger dog.  I used to trim her
nails weekly when she was younger.

HTH
Julie