[nagdu] could have, would have, should have

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Feb 27 14:25:55 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel.
I am so sorry to hear this, and that you couldn't keep Scout as a pet,
even if he couldn't be a guide dog.
You gave it your very best.  That's all you can do.  It just wasn't meant
to be.
I had a dog, Nestor, who had a nervous breakdown in New York City.  He got
so anxious to do the right thing that he made mistakes.  A trainer came
out and said I should retire him, but I loved him and made the trainer
give me some suggestions of what might make things better.  I tried a good
while, but I gave up when Nestor fell off the subway platform because he
was walking too close to the edge.  I was hanging on to his leash for all
I was worth, because I was afraid if he fell all the way down onto the
tracks, I wouldn't be able to pull him up before the train came.  Some
hero grabbed him and pulled him up, because I wasn't strong enough.  It
was very scary.  I sat hugging him and told him he was going to retire.  I
had him about a year and a half.
But it worked out.  He was much happier not working, and GDB took real
pains to give me a dog who could stand up to the City.  But I still
sometimes think of what I could have done differently that might have
helped (but probably not.)
I'm sorry you went through all this misery.  You were more than patient.
I'm glad you weren't badly injured, though it sounds bad enough.
Tracy