[nagdu] Doggy B.O.

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Feb 27 15:20:15 UTC 2012

Just to add to the chorus of voices via story:

A few weeks back, I noticed an unusually strong odor coming from Bailey's inguinal area (around the groin/back end). Because I groom Bailey on a daily basis, I thought that it must be a skin problem. It turns out that it was. Bailey is also a German shepherd (who has now surpassed the 80 pound mark, but in a healthy way), so he comes with all the idiosyncrasies of a shepherd. If the dog is regularly groomed, bathed occasionally, and doesn't come into contact with large amounts of filth on a daily basis, then it is almost certainly a skin condition--especially as Mark's dog is also a shepherd--they are known for their sensitivities. Just to note another similarity between Bailey and Mark's dog: Bailey also had some strange eating behaviors shortly after training (some of you may remember)--however, they worked themselves out and he is a much happier puppy, a puppy who is now due for his morning dosage of antibiotic.
So, moral of this story kids--take the dog to the vet--if grooming and bathing are done properly, then I would be surprised if it weren't a skin problem.
On a further further point, some dogs can develop severe flea allergies--so make sure that, despite the time of year, you keep on top of the administration of the flea medication.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University