[nagdu] crowded trains

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 17:04:39 UTC 2012

Hi List,

An interesting situation to talk about. I am a student at Temple University
in Philadelphia and live outside of the metro Philly area. This means that
when I go to school I am riding the SEPTA regional rail system. During the
day when I ride to school the trains are usually not crowded. Its in the
evening during rush hour that the train is so crowded its standing room
only. I usually get the same train in the evenings, so some of the people
are use to me by now. I try to get on the same car but this is hard as the
platforms are long and the train might pull up to different places. When I
get on, I know its crowded, and I am okay with standing. But usually another
passenger insists on them getting up and I sitting down. Some days I need
this as the motion of the train makes my vertigo worse, but most days I
don't need to sit. I have told other riders that it is not necessary for me
to sit down. I do always have Emma with me. I have never had anyone be upset
that Emma is lying on their feet because it is crowded.

So I guess my questions are: If its crowded on a train, bus, or whatever, do
you stand? How do you make other riders less insistent to get up and give up
their seat?

Perhaps its my pride that doesn't like others giving up their seat. Perhaps
I think if they get up and give me their seat, I am needy and helpless, and
that poor blind girl that can't stand. Its uncomfortable to say the least. I
know people are trying to be nice and polite, and I always Thank them for
the gesture. And even the car conductor has insisted that a passenger or two
gets up to give me a seat or room for my pup. Like I said these are
typically conductors who do not know me. Really truly and honestly I am okay
with standing. It's an express train, so for the first 7 stops it does not
stop, and at the first stop a huge lot of people get off.

What would you do? How would you handle this?

Ideas, comments, are welcome. Also, it is not an option that I take an
earlier train or a later train. As the earlier one I am in class and the
later doesn't leave my campus for another hour, this is the last of the rush
hour trains.

Your help is appreciated,

Marsha