[nagdu] Consumer or Beneficiary?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 2 00:13:50 UTC 2012

Tracy,
    I can kind of see your point if you view consumption only in the context
of eating; however, as it pertains to economics,consumers are protected by
specific laws that protect and empower us. The fields of counseling, social
services, and rehabilitation have begun to use the term "consumer" in an
attempt to shift the paradign away from viewing those with whom they work as
clients or patients, as such language implies an imbalance in the
relationship between those who provide the services and those who are
served. Consumers have an inherent power through their ability to make
choices about the services rendered, rather than being directed to which
choices should be made.
    Economic consumption is founded on the principle of supply and demand.
As consumers make their choices of which goods and services they will
choose, those who provide the goods and services must either adjust to the
demands of the consumers or face the consequences. As long as the blind view
themselves as subjects, rather than consumers, guide dog training programs
will treat us as beneficiaries who should be grateful for what we get with
no say in how the services are delivered. Of course, this tactic plays very
well with donors who want to help the poor blind person live a fuller -
though not equal - life with those who have the benefit of sight. many guide
dog training programs play to this sentiment, undermining the work of the
National Federation of the Blind to communicate our message of empowerment
and self-determination.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala