[nagdu] Consumer or Beneficiary?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 14:57:05 UTC 2012

Tami,
    I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this message. I especially like the
manner in which you describe the training program as the "middle man". I am
writing a piece for Braille Monitor on this subject, so reading these
posts - especially this one - helps me clarify my thoughts and provides me
ideas to incorporate into the article.
    I have less of an issue with the term "client" as I have with the
attitudes of the training programs. In the social services profession we
call our consumers "clients", as well; however, the culture of social
services is shifting to an attitude of empowerment for our consumers, rather
than one of directing them. The term "consumer" is more a legal term to
describe the end user. This is why states have a Department of Consumer
Affairs and that nonprofit organization publishes Consumer Reports. Whether
the person is called a "patron", "customer", "student", or "client", that
person is a consumer with specific legal rights and expectations.

Fraternally yours,
marion