[nagdu] Consumer or Beneficiary?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 02:39:15 UTC 2012

Marion, and all,

So I've been thinking of this general subject for quite a while, as it
relates to various areas where "services" are provided to a specific
population by a specific organization.

So with the guide dog training programs. I think of them in that
terminology, because that appears to me to be what they exist to do.
Train guide dogs.

Also, they are non profit organizations. They are funded by outside
sources, generally referred to as donors.

The donors provide money to the guide dog training programs, along with
dogs and other goods, so that the guide dog training program will then
provide trained guide dogs to blind guide dog users.

The guide dog training programs are not giving us a gosh darn thing.
They are middlemen. The individual employees of any given program are
being paid to do specific jobs toward the end of producing trained guide
dogs for the benefit of blind guide dog users according to the wishes of
the people who donate the money for them to use and to be paid from in
doing that.

So if I apply to a guide dog training program -- or programs -- when it
is time for me to seek a new guide dog, then I don't care what they want
to call me. In my own profession, the terminology is client/server, so
that is how I think of the relationship or any relationship of a
business type. When I am an employee of a company, that company would be
legally called my employer. I think of that company as my client. My
boss is my client. If my work involves doing projects for the benefit of
other departments, those departments are my clients. If another employee
is being paid to provide information, reports, office supplies, you have
it to me so that I may serve my clients, then I am their client. I
expect them to do their jobs for me in that relationship as I expect
myself to do mine for my clients, whoever that may be depending on the
project. If I'm in business for myself, the legal relationship is
contractor/client. The words change, but the relationship does not.

So I see guide dog training programs, VR agencies, public
transportation, the library, whatever. The one who pays for and uses the
services is the client. Call it what you will, in my line of work,
that's what it's called. The provider of the services is the server.
They serve the client. They are paid to do that.

Needless to say, my VR agency up to and through the administration
doesn't like me much. /grin/ Some guide dog programs would not like me
much either. Do I care? No! They are paid to provide a service to me. If
it is a taxpayer funded service, I have already paid for it and am
continuing to. In the case of a guide dog training program, the gift for
which I am grateful comes from outside the organization doing the work
to serve up that product/service to me. I expect the employees to do
their jobs for me, as for every other individual who seeks and receives
those services.

Dunno... Do you think the programs and agencies are ready to call us all
"Boss"? /lol/

Tami