[nagdu] Guide Dogs and Horse Shows

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 18:21:39 UTC 2012

Julie,

Thanks. Those are more or less the questions to myself I started with. I
made some attempt to find out what the seating space, sound levels and
so forth would be like, but there wasn't much notice and it was a
holiday weekend.

I was relieved that using a cane for that long didn't give me a huge
exacerbation of the injuries I'm working on stabilizing and healing,
along with trying to build up muscle tone and strength without making
things worse. Tricky, and there was some time spent in bed waiting for
acupuncture... In the same areas where instructors from our lovely
Commission for the Blind inflicted those crushing/insisting injuries. I
still hear I'm supposed to be grateful...

Still, with the short notice for such an opportunity, I did decide to
leave the poodle home, and she would not have fit at all, and the sound
would have been too loud, I think. She does well in loudness, but it's
more than I would want to subject her to for a long period.

So I'm funny. Asking around for opinions and stuff, I was surprised how
many people skipped right over the questions about seating and noise
levels and other logistics I wanted to have an idea about so that I
could make the best decision for my dog and myself. Apparently, as a
guide dog user, I am supposed to take responsibility for everyone else's
feelings, wishes, horse training and safety, and so on and so forth.
Granted, had I been buying those tickets months in advance, I would have
found out more information about what to expect in terms of what the
facilities for the horses were like. It was a reasonable guess that the
horses would be well protected from all things, and they were. I didn't
have anything to do with that, since it is not my responsibility. /evil
grin/

 From our New Year dinner guest, I got the whole script about why would
I take my dog and upset people when I have a sighted person to take care
of me... And so on. Apparently, it matters that my dog doesn't look like
a guide dog, but more like the neighbor's dog. And so on. Where do
people get this stuff? Well, it's always so scripted -- except for the
neighbor's dog comment, which was new and refreshing -- that I can just
give a scripted response in return without having to stop and think
about anything. Good grief! Still makes me madder than a wet hen!

Anyway, it all worked, we had a great time, I got to smell horses, etc.,
etc. I discovered that even with my skinny white friend instead of my
slender black friend, people still come up and talk to me. /lol/ So long
as I still get my new best friends I may never meet again... /grin/

Tami