[nagdu] When is the Connection Too Much?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 19:14:18 UTC 2012

Will and Toni,

Using the dog's name in a professional signature line does seem a bit
unprofessional, although there may be cases where it's not a big thing,
depending... Maybe. I'm not thinking of anything right now, but norms
for some professions are more relaxed than for others. Every now and
then I get a wild hair and think it would be cute to put Mitzi's name in
my personal signature or something. Then I remember that it would be too
easy to forget to use the right signature on business or serious
correspondence... So I take precautions there for my own
absent-mindedness. /smile/

If a guide dog user chooses to allow their dog free run of the house
when company comes over, well so do a lot of dog owners. It depends on
the dog, the handler and the guest, and I think Toni laid that out
really well. If the dog is mugging the guests or snarfing food off the
plates at the dinner table or even on the couch... Well, if I were the
guest I would not be too eager to drop by again. Especially if the
behavior was not handled by the handler. /lol/

Mitzi has the run of the house when we have guests over, so I remind her
of "company manners" when it's a formal gathering as opposed to a drop
by from a really good buddy. /smile/ When it's our special friends, they
have their own preferences, which she respects, so I smile happily and
proudly at her and figure it's all good if everyone is happy. /lol/
Poodles are funny beasts that way, not like dogs at all it can seem, but
I've decided I quite like that.

So she is now teaching the puppy good company manners, with support from
the house humans. Way cool. Daisy had learned to be really good with
company for the last couple of years of her life, but she did need
watching to keep her from loving them too much once she decided they
were okay. /smile/ Mitzi is a very charming hostess, with her poodle
grin and little dance and tail action. So it's fun watching the puppy
learn from her and develop her own way of interacting with company.

Where I wonder about myself with my attachment to my guide is when I
realize I talk to her all the time... Then I heard from other guide dog
users that they just go around talking to their dogs without realizing
it. Also, I've noticed how that affects Mitzi and her understanding of
what her work is about and all. It really strengthens our bond and
working unity... Also, I realized I was talking, literally, to hear the
sound of my own voice. For echolocation. /lol/ So Ive been retraining
myself to use the echolocation without the constant chatter. I backslide
to the point where I annoy myself when lose more vision or if I'm really
tired or stressed in a complicated environment. Working on it! I make a
conscious effort to use the clicker, which does great. Even when I'm
using the cane. /lol/ I've never really taken to the finger snap, and I
also use that with Mitzi to remind her to mind her manners when she's
ancy. The tongue sound escapes me, more so when I'm tired and stressed
and likely to run off at the mouth over nothing, so... The clicker it is!

Oh, I've also noticed that I've fallen into referring to Mitzi and me as
"we" in some contexts. We walked to the store. We went to the mall... I
can never decide if I've gone goofy to do that or if it's natural
because we're a partnership and are doing these things together as a
team. I have decided not to worry about it. /grin/

Tami