[nagdu] KEEPING POODLES HAIR SOFT AND CURLY

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 22:04:55 UTC 2012

Gary and Hannah,

That's what I use, too. The slicker brush and a comb. I do also use a
bristle brush at times, too, or a regular style dog brush... Just
depends. If it seems Mitzi's coat is dry, I will put some olive oil on
it and brush it through. /smile/ Sometimes I use Aloe Vera gel to clean
the curls between groomings, depending on if they seem to be feeling
dirty or dusty... Mostly, though, brushing with the bristle brush will
keep the dirt off, and the olive oil keeps things soft as her curls grow
out. /smile/

Her coat has been a bit neglected because of the puppy. I bring out the
brushes to brush the poodle, and the puppy steals them and hides them.
So I grab another brush, and the puppy steals that and puts it with the
other brush, then steals another brush... Don't ask. /smile/ So for a
while there, I would just grab the puppy and brush her, so now she loves
to be brushed. So when I would try to brush Mitzi, the puppy would bark
and... It's a good thing she's cute, that's all I can say. /grin/

The puppy has finally grown up enough that she can survive Mitzi's
having enough undivided attention for a nice brushing, so Mitzi and I
are both enjoying that. Sometimes, especially if I use a little bit of
olive oil to conditionn her hair, I can just brush her forever and run
my fingers through her luxuriant curls...  Every now and then, I get
busy while her curls are short, then suddenly realize that I'd better
start brushing her again, so I get on it... And I suddenly have this
huge dog again. Teehee.

The rain on her coat will tighten up the curls, and often make them seem
softer. Depending. I think if there's a lot of gunk in the air, the
curls start feeling gunky. But then once it has been raining enough to
clean the air, her coat gets springy and soft. /grin/

Tami