[nagdu] Harness Signs Real and Imagined

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Fri Jan 27 13:31:03 UTC 2012

I've tried traditional harness signs in the past, ones that go across the
bridge of the handle.  Those never worked.  As someone else has said it just
seemed to give people something to read and go, "Oh but you don't mean me,
of course!" while they attempted to pet my dog.  But then I saw on ebay a
number of years ago this small, probably 2" by 4" long bright yellow with
black embroidered writing cloth thing that was designed to Velcro around a
leash and is embroidered with "Do Not Pet".  It was only a couple of dollars
so I got it and velcroed it around the edge of the harness handle on the
outside left side, it sits just above where the handle comes out of the
bunny ears on the harness, and WOW it Totally works!  Amazed the socks off
me but I've had it for a couple of years now on 2 different dogs and yup,
time and time again people will stop, read it and then purposefully avoid
petting my dog.  It's great.  I don't know why this thing gets that kind of
response, it's really not very big at all, but people read it all the time
and respond appropriately.  I often even get people who tell me, "I'm so
glad you have that sign on your dog, otherwise I would have tried to pet
him!"

Katrin