[nagdu] Some more history about Griffin

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Fri Jul 6 19:24:33 UTC 2012

I recognize the names of several of you, Rebecca, Bibi, Meghan, and I think one other person, so Rebecca and Bibi already know the following.

I began the process to retire Griffin back in the spring because of some orthopedic issues.  Griffin is losing some of his range of movement in his neck, and the right knee is developing some arthritis.  Additionally, some limping with the right front foot is a bit more pronounced.  That is due to him being zapped during our NYC training trip by stray voltage.

However, another more serious problem has cropped up that just seals the deal.  Because of the orthopedic issues, he was being given on an as-needed basis, Remydil (spelling).  The liver enzymes, which had to be checked because of the use of that drug, needed to be periodically checked.  They rose.  he was put on meds to lower them, they started to go down, but they went back up.  So, one thing we learned is that he cannot hve Remydil.  But because they were staying elevated, it was time to find out why the liver enzymes were elevated.  Well, it turns out that Griffin has chronic hepatitis.  CH can occur in any dog of any age, breed, and gender is not a factor.  However, dogs who are older are somewhat more prone to CH.  Griffin is ten.  Dogs with smaller than normal livers are prone to it.  Griffin has a smaller than normal liver.  Certain breeds are slightly more likely to get it, and of course, ding, ding, ding, labs are one of those breeds.

remind me, but I'll dig up a link later that takes you to a good description of CH.  But for this discussion, the treatment usually involves a course of antibiotics, and possibly a special diet by Hills called Liver Diet (LD).  Well, he is not symptomatic, so no L/D at this point.  But we did try the antibiotics.  It was a combined effort of flagyl and Amoxacillin.  The flagyl was supposed to help with possible diarrhea caused by the Amox.  But no such luck.  The runs came with a vengance.  We withdrew the Amox for a few days, the stools firmed up, and then changed the dose of both the Amox and the flagyl so they were more closely matched in dose rather than the dose by body weight.  Still, the runs hit again.  Lesson learned--Griffin cannot have Amoxacillin.  There is another drug that could be used, but it is even worse than the Amox, so the vet and I decided, thanks, but no thanks.  He finished out the flagyl, and he has been enjoying a bland diet of rice and ground beef (just switched from the ground beef to ground turkey because it has less fat).  It is taking some time, but the stools are improving.  I'm experimenting wth gradually adding dry food back into the diet, but I'm doing so slowly.  In all of this, the vet and I have been in very close communication with each other, and we thoroughly discuss options.  She treats my knowledge of Griffin as if it is very important, and our discussions do not include egoes.  This is a good thing.

One medication that he is doing well on and which he will remain on for the rest of his life id called Denamarin.  This drug's role is to try to keep the liver enzymes at an acceptable level.

Other than the set-back with the one antibiotic, Griffin is hanging in there, and as long as he is symptom-free (lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea unrelated to medication, weight loss), he can actually live for years with chronic hepatitis for years.  I want to retire him while he is still healthy.  Lord knows, he would keep going, but I'm not going to do that.  He'll be content to hang out at home with the two cats.  He'll have access to a doggie door and a fenced in back yard, and he will do fine.

That's my second story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Typing errors and all.

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged and/or confidential. This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.