[nagdu] Soul Searching

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 00:01:16 UTC 2012

Hi, Marsha,
That was one reason why I left the organizational as a whole almost ten years ago, but also because of an informative choice resolution that was past, the beliefs of where everyone would be required to use the white cane during training hours at the training centers.
My take on this one is this.
I don't care what type of travel means people have, as long as they feel comfortable with a cane or dog and if properly used, everything will run smoothly.
I became a guide dog user, not just for having a guide, but I enjoy the partnership with a dog all together.
No, it doesn't make me look better or worse off and it's not all about the dog giving me more independence.
I have to be the one to increase the independence and confidence level for myself.
To me, Odie is not only partner but a great loyal four-legged furry companion/friend for them rough times.
I honestly prefer a dog because I feel more comfortable when crossing streets and I've been lucky many times when Odie would let me know of careless drivers speeding towards us.
One trick I use when it comes to keeping Odie safe during past CB/GDUI conventions was to have him sit in front of my feet if we happened to be in the registration line.
If that didn't work out, then I made sure to keep him close to me on the left side upon making sure his tail was tucked under his rear end.
Another big problem I'd see is how people don't make sure their dogs are tucked under the chairs during conventions.
I've seen it enough to where the dog would be allowed to sprawl out and then the handler gets made because the dog is stepped on.
I figure if they would have made sure the dog was tucked under their chair  properly and not taking up floor space, then things like this wouldn't be happening.
Some handlers just obviously don't have respect enough to keep their partners out of the way.
I'm not a all straight out perfect handler either and truth is that if I don't learn from my mistakes, then what is there to learn and how to prevent something from happening to Odie at times?
Something I continuously try to do when I approach counters in businesses is to have him lie in front of my feet and tucked up under the wall of the counter with his tail under him.
I won't forget a time during a NAGDU meeting at convention in 2001 when I actually tripp over someone's dog because it was clearly sticking out in the walk way in between the rows of chairs.
Although Orleans did stop and I told him good boy and forward, he still didn't want to move.
Even when he eventually did, that's when I tripped and almost landed face first on the floor.
Luckily, I didn't get hurt.
Bibi