[nagdu] twelve years as of June 1, 2000

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 08:15:05 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
Twelve years ago on June 1, 2000, it was a new chapter that unfolded and became a real, new adventure in my life.
Although I've been a guide dog handler off and on during these years, I've learned from each of the dogs I've worked with, but Odie being longest four-legged furry partner I've had since March 28, 2005.
After retiring Odie and the rejection I had to unfortunately endure from GDF, I needed to take some time to do some soul searching to really think things over.
I also needed to deal with getting my medical situation under control, more my one-year-old seizure disorder.
I had planned on doing what GDF wanted which was go ahead with the game of going through Denver Vocational rehabilitation to brush up my O&M skills.
It was a year ago when I went down there to meet with my counselor and a year later, nothing has been accomplished.
I've still been deciding on whether to return back to Pilot or look at GDB'S wheelchair training.
I am happy to share that Pilot does do ballance training with their guide dogs to help those that struggle with ballance.
I, however, would like to open up some other ideas for them as far as training and hope that one day, they may look at the approach of guide dog/wheelchair training.
Of course, I can't force that upon them, but I was willing to email them information from GDB's customed needs program which I did find under a resource link at the Perkins School for the Blind's web site.
Whether it will be reconsidered, I don't know, but my goal was to help them keep current graduates so they wouldn't have to switch to another school due to sudden medical injuries or ailments for which they would have to be wheelchair bound upon going through the training program.
I know that if GDB's customed needs program ends up being my last option unless I embark on owner training, then I will really need to do some serious thinking.
Since I became a user June 1, 2000, I haven't looked back and will most likely keep working with a guide dog until I can no longer do so.
*Smiles*
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie