[nagdu] motorized wheelchairs was re soul searching - question

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 11 23:10:23 UTC 2012

Hi, Brenda,
Definitely very scary in your situation.
I find the biggest problem is everyone's forgetting about consideration and respect toward one another and many get into too big of a hurry.
Once I find out more about my power chair on whether Colorado Medicade will cover it or not, I've already requested one that doesn't move like a speed deamond.
united C Mobility, the company that Denver Health Medical works with is also willing to put approximatey sensors on my chair so I have an idea of how the speed indication is and to let me know if I get too close to stairs, curbs or unexpected drop offs.
I did a test drive with a power chair in the wheelchair clenic almost two months ago and did well for the most part, despite running into a wall which was my fault.
I didn't give myself enough clearence and space.
Dale hung on to Odie while I did the test drive.
I made sure I slowed the chair down to the lowest speed upon continuously turning my head to listen for anyone coming up behind or toward me just to be sure no one would get their toes squashed.
During the test drive, the outpaitient therapist noticed how I kept moving my head around a lot.
Once I explained why, she understood and said that she didn't blame me for using that tactic.
Another good reason why I'd rather have a slower power chair is if I were to look into the customed needs program with GDB, I won't have to worry too much about my partner's toes being smashed.
Bibi