[nagdu] Pinch collar

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jul 12 13:22:02 UTC 2012

I have to sometimes use a pinch collar with Ben.  His collar is too large,
too, and the next size down is too small.  It's hard to get an effective
correction with the darn thing.
But I didn't feel like the pinch was the "last resort."  A senior trainer
came out to help me, and, when he saw the collar problem, we walked over
to Petco and bought a pinch.  No long discussions of any sort.  He showed
me how to put it on, and how to use it, which was a pretty short
discussion as well. I think we worked together for maybe an hour, walking
around the city.
It does help, but I don't like to use it.  I never imagined I'd need to
use such a thing.  So I only put it on when Ben is really feeling his oats
and trying to sniff a lot.  It does the job of getting him back in line,
and the lesson sticks for a good while. But I still don't like it.
None of my GDB dogs ever needed such a thing.
Tracy