[nagdu] Fisher went to School

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:12:03 UTC 2012

I understand the prong/pinch collars look nasty to the general observer,
but I have actually become quite fond of them in certain situations.

It is very easy to give a very clear and subtle correction to a dog.  I
honestly think a correction with a prong, if done properly, is much less
apparent to the typical observer.  I too have one on my dog most of the
time, but the leash is usually connected to his nylon martingale
collar.  I try to phase the prong out as quickly as possible, but that
is more for the sake of the general public opinion than anything else.
These collars do a nice job of simulating the feel of the mother dog
scruffing the puppy...a perfectly natural and clear signal to the dog.

They are not meant to be used to deliver the cranker leash corrections
people tend to need to give with a standard chain training collar, and
if this type of correction is given with a prong collar, the dog's
throat can be seriously damaged.  One gentle flick of one finger is
enough to say stay sharp kiddo.

Every training tool has its place.  I am all for keeping the training as
positive as possible, but I also think there are times where there need
to be more clear consequences for unsafe behavior.

Just my thoughts, of course, and if you had asked for them two years
ago, they would have been entirely different.

Meghan