[nagdu] {nagdu} guide dog in high school

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Jul 16 12:44:30 UTC 2012

        Thank you Lynn. This is very well said.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Lyn Gwizdak
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 6:31 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] {nagdu} guide dog in high school

Rebecca,
Your reasons for not having a guide dog are very valid.  People are ALWAYS
asking my sister why she doesn't have a dog as they look at me with my dog.
She says that she doesn't want the responsibility.  She also has
developmental disability and can barely care for herself - never mind a dog.

I sometimes see people who do have guide dogs and they don't want to do what
it takes to do right by the dog - work and care.  A dog isn't right for
everyone, period.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  After all, you are
still caring for an animal's needs and that's not for all people - whether
we are talking about service dogs or pet dogs - a dog is a dog.  It is a
lifestyle and it is a choice.

I was 22 when I got my first guide dog.  I can see where it could be touogh
to get a guide dog while in high school. You have to deal with alot of
immature kids and sometimes the blind kid doesn't want another thing to make
him/herself stand out even more than the blindness.  Sometimes peer pressure
will make a high school guide dog handler refrain from doing what is best
for their training.  things like correcting the dog or telling folks that
they can't feed or play with the dog while it is working.  I'm glad I didn't
have a dog while in high school.

But there are also kids who do well with a dog in a high school environment
and that is good.

Lyn and Landon