[nagdu] Shoppers with guide dogs being denied access atgoodwill industries

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jul 17 17:34:42 UTC 2012

So, here's a bit of irony:

From http://www.goodwill.org/news-updates/goodwill-trains-service-dogs-to-support-people-with-disabilities/

Goodwill® Trains Service Dogs to Support People with Disabilities

November 5, 2011

Many people with disabilities could benefit from having an assistance dog to aid them in a variety of ways, including opening and closing doors, pulling wheelchairs, summoning help and providing companionship. However, so few trained assistance dogs are available that only one percent of Americans who need an assistancedog currently have them.

To address this need, Chattanooga Goodwill Industries created the Goodwill Assistance Dog Academy to train and to provide assistance dogs free of charge to Southeast Tennessee and Northwest Georgia residents who have physical disabilities.

Currently, the Goodwill has three service dogs in training – Eddie, Brandy and Hamilton. During their two-year training, each dog will learn over 90 commands and perform skills such as opening and closing doors, turning on and off lights, retrieving dropped or needed items and pulling wheelchairs.

It costs approximately $25,000 per recipient to train an assistance dog. If you’d like to lend a helping paw, the Goodwill offers several ways to sponsor one of its service dogs:

	• $10 buys your service puppy a bone or a toy
	• $25 buys your service puppy one month of dog food
	• $50 buys your service puppy his/her working vest
	• $100 buys a six-month supply of Sentinel
	• $200 buys one week of assistance dog training and includes 24/7 housing and care
Visit the Goodwill Assistance Dog Academy’s Facebook Causes page to learn more and show your support!

2 Comments

Add a Comment*

*Your comment will be held for moderation until approved. For questions about Goodwill programs and services, please use our locator and contact your nearest Goodwillheadquarters.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY