[nagdu] PETA & Service Dogs

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 25 11:32:06 UTC 2012

William,
    I am of the belief that no amount of factual information can overcome
the irrational ignorance of those who have radical beliefs. In their strive
for "ethical treatment of animals", PETA ignores the fundamental fact that
dogs are happiest when they have a job to do, especially the working breeds
that are used as guide dogs. In the past, they have promulgated a great deal
of misinformation and, in spite of our providing them with accurate
information, hold fast to their radical beliefs.
    Pasted below is a response to PETA I wrote in january 2009 in response
to some of their radical, misinformed assertions about how guide dogs are
treated.

    Dear Ms. Nachminovitch,
    As the President of the National Association of Guide Dog Users, a
strong and proud division of the National Federation of the blind, I felt
compelled
to respond to your very misinformed comments about guide dogs. The biggest
problem we face as blind people is the misunderstanding and lack of
information
that exists. This is true about guide dogs, as well. It is unfortunate that
you choose to promulgate the myths that create barriers to our full
inclusion
in society on terms of equality. It is also unfortunate that you compromise
the integrity of People for the Ethical Treatment of animals by making such
foolish assertions. By doing so, you call into question the veracity of any
valid information published by PETA.
    In an effort to set the record straight, guide dogs are not "kept in
harness 24/7". The truth is that guide dogs are only in harness when they
are working.
    As to your assertion that our dogs are virtually disposed of when they
are no longer able to "serve" their handlers, the fact is that, more often
than
not, our dogs live out their lives with their blind caretakers. As an
example, my previous guide dog worked until he was fourteen years old and
lived out
the remainder of his sixteen years with me. My current guide will soon be
twelve years old and is enjoying her semi-retirement by lying under my
dining
room table on the cold tile floor where she loves to lie.
    As for your statement that guide dogs are never given the opportunity to
romp and play, my guide dog plays with the two other dogs in our household
and with the guide dogs of my blind colleagues on a regular basis.
    Petting a guide dog is discouraged while it is working, as doing so is a
distraction to its work; however, when the harness is off, my family,
especially
my three-year-old granddaughter, is welcome - even encouraged - to pet and
play with my guide dog.
    PETA would also like the public to believe that guide dogs are forced
against their wills to work for a blind person because that promotes its
radical
agenda. The truth is that it further demonstrates PETA's ignorance of canine
behavior. Dogs are, by nature, pack animals and each animal in a pack has
a job. Guide dogs enjoy their work and become excited when the harness is
presented to them! My guide dog comes running when the harness is taken off
its
hook by the door and slips her head into it, excited at the adventure to
come! unlike the pet that stays at home with absolutely nothing to do -
quite
contradictory to the nature of a dog - our animals get to spend most of
their time with their "alpha dog"! By the way, my dog doesn't care if anyone
else
pets her because I give her all the love and attention she could ever want!
Furthermore, when the weather is bad or the place i am going is not
conducive
to my guide, she stays at home where she again, lies in her "cave" under the
dining room table and probably romps and plays with our other dogs!
    In summary, PETA is fabricating lies to justify their irrational,
radical stand. I realize that this correspondence will probably do little to
convince
PETA of the truth nor cause them to retract their lies or alter their stand.
they are too entrenched in their misgivings that the facts would only
confuse
them. however, this correspondence is offered to present the facts to those
willing to consider rational, accurate information.
Sincerely yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
president at nfb-nagdu.org