[nagdu] Family and Friends Accepting Person with Guide Dog; was: ...Civility

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jul 31 22:40:17 UTC 2012

Hi, Melissa and Everyone,

I don't think this type of thing happens too often to guide dog handlers in
places of public accommodation, unless the establishment is owned/run by
persons whose culture views dogs as unclean or unsuitable for indoor
presence, because most people know about guide dogs and admire the work they
do.  However, I think it may happen more often to persons with other
disabilities who use service dogs, especially persons with disabilities
which are not immediately apparent to the casual observer, such as the
person in the story about the change of service at the diner when she
appeared with her service dog, because there is some doubt in the minds of
the facility management that the use of the animal is legitimate.

I do think that quite a few blind people find that some of their friends or
relatives might not accept the dog at first or even never, or might treat
them differently once they have a guide dog, because the use of the dog does
subtley change the relationship between the blind person and his/her family
members and friends.  Some may not be able to accept the greater
independence and confidence of the blind person, and some may just not like
dogs and not want to spend much time with someone who always brings the dog
along.  Some people just don't like the smell, hair, licking, toenails
scratching, tail-wagging, and who knows what else about dogs and just can't
stand to have a dog around them, no matter how well they liked the blind
person before he/she got the guide dog.

As to how it should be handled, this is an individual decision and depends
on the relationship between the people.  It is certainly important to have
discussions before getting a guide dog with those with whom one lives or is
very close, to make sure that one understands how the other people feel
about one's obtaining a guide dog.  Most of the guide dog programs have
materials which can be used to start such discussions with one's family
members and close friends.  Usually, family members are thrilled to have a
highly-trained and very friendly canine join their family or circle of
friends, and the biggest problem the new dog handler will have is keeping
his family members and friends from taking liberties and trying to become
too friendly with the dog.  If someone close to the prospective handler
absolutely cannot live with the person's decision to get a guide dog, then
the blind person has to make the judgment as to which is more important to
him/her, the choice of a mobility technique that maximizes his/her
independence, confidence, and opportunity to pursue his/her life goals, or
the relationship with the person who cannot accept the dog.  Things are not
usually quite so black-and-white, though, and compromises can usually be
made.

Before one gets a guide dog, it is also important to have some discussion
with the management of one's place of employment, although this conversation
is different because it is not meant to elicit the feelings of the
management on the subject of one's getting the dog guide, but to inform the
management that one is exercising his/her right to have the dog in the work
environment as a reasonable accommodation, and to clarify how persons in the
workplace are to interact, or not interact, with the dog and its handler.
It is hard to know whether having a guide dog enhances or decreases one's
attractiveness to a prospective employer, or if it has any bearing on one's
chances for employment above and beyond the fact of one's blindness as such.
But I think it can go either way, again, depending on the particular place
of employment and individual managers.

My own agency would be thrilled to employ persons with disabilities who use
service animals.  Even before I came to the agency, there was an office dog,
who happened to be a pet of one of the office staff.  Now, besides that dog,
one of our Directors regularly brings her dog (which she is trying to train
to be a therapy dog) to the office.  And everyone is excited whenever I am
at the office with Panda.  But not all employers have this kind of attitude,
of course.  But they all must obey the law, regardless of their personal
preferences.  There may have to be some adjustments to office arrangements
or schedules if there are other employees present with legitimate dog
allergies which rise to the level of a disability.  And of course, the dog
must be clean and well-behaved, so as to reflect well upon the company as
well as the individual handler, especially if the work involves contact with
customers or the public in general.  But basically, the employer does not
have the prerogative of saying that they are glad to employ you, but not if
you choose to be accompanied by a service dog.

Best,

Ann