[nagdu] My first NFB convention with 101 dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 18:18:56 UTC 2012

Debbie,
Be prepared for your dog to be very hyper and excited with all the commotion
at the convention.  With the crowds, it will be impossible for you to stop
your dog from greeting another dog.  Me, personally, do allow my dog to
briefly greet another dog.  Over the years I have found that my dogs are
happier to greet and be on their way than if I never let them greet another
dog ever.  I make my dogs understand that they have to behave.

BE sure you give yourself and your dog a break during the day or evening.
Your dog will be expected to guide you around an unfamiliar hotel with tons
of white canes coming from every direction along with all the strange dogs.
Try to keep to it's schedule for eating and relieving as much as possible.
This will help prevent accidents in the hotel.  Bring a nylabone or another
favorite toy for the dog to destress with while you and your dog relax in
your room.  You will NOT be permitted to leave your dog unattended in the
room during convention so you'll have to plan resting times for both of you.
This has worked well for me.  I went to the national NFB Convention in 2001
and have been to many state conventions of both NFB and ACB.

Hope it goes well and have fun!  And another way to help your dog cope -
keep yourself as calm as possible!!!

Lyn and Landon