[nagdu] renting a car with Mason

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 11:54:50 UTC 2012

Sam,
    A public accommodation may not assess a surcharge of any type because of
the presence of a service animal. According to the implementing regulations
of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA found at 28 CFR Part 36.302
(8)

"A public accommodation shall not ask or require an individual with a
disability to pay a surcharge, even if people accompanied by pets are
required to pay fees, or to comply with other requirements generally not
applicable to people without pets. If a public accommodation normally
charges individuals for the damage they cause, an individual with a
disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal."

Normal wear and tear are not considered "damages" and, therefore, the dog
hair left after the rental are no different than the debris that may be left
by others in the vehicle necessitating its normal cleaning. If a person or
service dog causes damages beyond normal wear and tear, e.g. tearing a seat,
chewing an arm rest, breaking a mechanism, etc. such damages can be
recovered by the rental agency. I have attached the entire text of the
relevant sections of the implementing regulations of the ADA concerning
service animals that took effect on march 15, 2011. If you have any further
questions or would like to refer the rental agency for more information, you
may call the NAGDU Information & advocacy Hotline at 888-624-3841
(888-NAGDU411).

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala