[nagdu] Third party reporting by other guide dog users

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 23:11:11 UTC 2012

Bibi,

What a hoot Odie is! Love the ears moving to answer. /smile/ Mitzi has
her ways of letting me know what is what, but not code like that.
/smile/ When she does tell me, I had better listen. Or else! /lol/ What
is funny is watching how the puppy learns to communicate her wants and
needs. She takes a lot from Mitzi, but she is definitely developing her
own style. Not all of her attempts to show me what she wants or where
she wants me to go have been appreciated, however. Ripping my sweats or
nearly pulling my feet out from under me by grabbing my jeans -- or even
trying the socks and pulling them off, then making me chase her for them
-- weren't the approved method around here. Now that she is tall enough
(!), she puts her short, wide snout into my palm and directs me when she
wants me to go somewhere or find something or let her out. Interesting.
Well, before that, she would grab my hand in her sharp puppy teeth...
This stopped being cute in a hurry! /lol/ Mitzi has other ways of
communicating the same things, so it's fun seeing our growing youngster
develop her own style. /smile/

I'm so familiar now with Mitzi's ways of communicating back and forth
for me, I don't think I could describe them if I tried. I just know what
she's telling me... She's very good that way in harness, too, which is
neat. But it's something that has grown up and evolved over the years,
so I now just know. Couldn't describe it for the life of me. Fun.

The sighted people we pass seem to fret sometimes because of how zippy
we can be. Sometimes I get the impression someone who is talking to me
about my dog is just *looking* for somethin out of line. /lol/ I don't
worry about it, though, and few come up with anything. Except the nosy
neighbor stuff I've mentioned, where they report to DD... I guess
they've given up because he doesn't give them the attention they're
looking for. /grin/

Mostly, when people talk to me directly about whatever it is, I just
answer and don't worry too much... I would be offended if they started
going on about a supposed health problem, however. How rude! But we all
know blind people can't take care of their dogs properly because we
can't see... Ha! /lol/ Mostly, people worry at me about how my dog knows
to cross the street with the light, since dogs are color blind... Stuff
like that. If somebody did raise a concern that was realistic and had
something to do with real guide dogs in the real world, the shock might
do me in. /lol/ But it can turn into a fun way to talk to people while
whiling away the time at a stop light... Then waiting for the next round
because they were talking and I didn't hear when to cross... Oh, well.
Folks is folks.

The malice and going to cause harm is troubling, but then again that's
folks being folks, too. Sigh.

Tami