[nagdu] guide dogs and meeting

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 15 01:02:44 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
When I trained with Orleans at GEB, the instructors would have us meet in the coffee and snack lounge to wait for them to bring the dog in.
The dog then would be taken off the instructor's leash and allowed to run around to smell the environment upon checking it out.
After that, new dog and user would go back to their bedroom to spend time with the dog and begin bonding.
At Pilot Dogs when I trained with Freedom, the instructors would bring the dogs into the bedroom and my roommate and I would each sit with our dogs to do the same.
After twenty minutes of bonding time, instructors would come to get us upon having us go outtside to walk with the dogs around the block.
Bathing occured as part of the bonding process after the walk around the block.
I liked that part as it gave me a chance to refresh my memory of being able to bathe my partner at home if I couldn't afford to take him to the groomers.
I'll admit that Freedom David Berry won the most dirtiest dog award during the beginning.
When it came to Odie, Mike Tessmer had me wait in the front lobby while he went to get my partner from the kennels.
When Mike brought Odie into the building, my crazy labra wolf choked himself, trying to get to me immediately.
After hangin out in the lobby for twenty minutes, walk around the block took place and bathing again like before.
Out of all my guides, Odie gave me a run for my money during class.
He had a bad chewing habbit and was also picky when it came to the relieving area.
He would relieve in harness on route.
After a while, it took Mike Tessmer and steve Hoyt to make Odie go to the bathroom in the student relieving area.
They had to litterally go into the bathroom part by making him run around to stemulate him. Upon arriving home, there was some dificulty with getting him to go potty before we'd leave from home to the bus.
Odie did learn eventually that the rule was for him to take care of business before we'd leave home and getting on the city buses.
Yes, I still made sure to give him extra parking opportunities while we were out and about.
Due to him aging more though, I park him more frequently and he does have to be taken out in the middle of the night at times.
Truth here is I'd rather take him out in the middle of the night versus waking up to finding a lovely unpleasant surprise in our apartment.
Regardless of him being a brat during his days when me in training, Odie prooved that he was a great guide dog and the best out of all of them.
as for my next guide, I might consider home training due to medical and having to use oxygen at times.
Just my thoughts for sharing.
Bibi, husband Dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf