[nagdu] overhead obstacles

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jun 16 02:14:27 UTC 2012

Monty and I have been struggling for a while now with overhead
obstacles.   I need to figure out a game plan and get on it.  He's
stopping too far out so I don't always understand that he's stopping for
a tree branch or whatever.  I'll tell him to go forward or around or
whatever and his responses vary.  Sometimes he'll refuse, sometimes
he'll go and I run into the branch and sometimes he'll do some really
amazing intricate guide work to weave me through the mess.

I've been trying to get him to work up closer to the obstacle so I can
reach it and know what's going on, but it's not been exceptionally
successful.  So I'm open to ideas, suggestions or anything anyone has to
offer.
How exactly do you guys work overhead obstacles?  Do you go off the
sidewalk and around? Or duck down and go under? Or backtrack and go a
different way? Does your guide stop for an overhead or does the dog
automatically lead you around it?

He's not ignoring the overheads.  We are just having difficulty in
understanding each other, which leads to me giving confusing directions.
  I want to get this worked out before I really mess up his previous
training and he stops indicating them all together.

For the new folks, I have owner trained Monty so I have no trainer or
school to call.  Monty is exceptionally safety conscious and works most
obstacles from a distance, which is fine when he takes me around without
my additional direction.  I also will be using clicker training to fix
this snag since I feel it is probably my issue and a miscommunication
rather than blatant goofing off on his part.

Thoughts?
Julie