[nagdu] Heat!

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 03:24:52 UTC 2012

Hi, Marsha,
When I did my training at GEB with my first guide dog, they did have us work the dogs in the heat, despite that majority of them having black or dark colored coats.
We did a trip in the morning before lunch hour, then hung out at the school for an hour after that.
We then used the training vans to drive to the country road and train again.
That time, we worked the dogs back to the facility.
Orleans wasn't too thrilled and his feet were burning.
I'm sure things have changed at GEB from that time on.
When I trained at pilot and Freedom, it was around the fall and winter months, so not too bad.
Regardless though, we were careful of how long to be out and definitely had breaks in between two training routes.
I went to train with Freedom David Berry that started August 22, getting him on the 23rd and finishing up September 9, 2004.
The following day which was the 10th, Freedom and I left for home.
During the class around that time, we got to experience left overs from hurricane Frances and Charlie or Charley, (am not sure of the spelling).
Upon returning to train with Odie as I arrived Easter Sunday, march 27th, was partnered up with Odie March 28th around 3:30/3:45 PM in the late afternoon.
During that time, we xperienced warm days, but dealt with rain and some snow.
April 7th was the day Odie and I finished up and we flew home Friday, April 8, 2005.
I'm curious to hear of others's experiences during thei training at GDA, GDB, GDD, Fidelco, Leader Dogs and SEGDI weather wise.
Bibi