[nagdu] [Lady with Guide Dog kicked out of Ann Taylor]

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jun 23 14:03:10 UTC 2012

Cindy,

She stated that she had been into other Ann Taylor stores with no
problems.  However this was a brand new store and at least one employee
and the manager didn't know the law.  I'd say that is a store issue, but
not an entire chain store issue.

I guess I can understand that an employee might not know the laws.
After all there are a lot of laws, service dogs aren't that common and
retail clerks are quite often young and inexperienced.  What really gets
to me is the lack of willingness to learn and especially the manager not
knowing the law.  I have absolutely no sympathy for store managers who
don't know the law.  Would we let paying taxes slide just because the
manager claimed they didn't know?  Laws are laws and I think you need to
make it a priority to be very clear on the ones that apply to you.

JMO
Julie

>>> http://cruisinwithcricket.blogspot.com/2012/06/disappointed-in-ann-taylor.ht
>>> ml
>>> the news story and the information that the store has is different. The
>>> store claims that the dog did not have a harness. I didn't think it was the
>>> harness that made the guide dog a guide dog, but its training and for the
>>> tasks it does? Maybe I am wrong. And secondly, did the store employees not
>>> know what a harness looked like, to say that it was indeed a harness?
>>> Cricket is from GDB, so she would have been wearing a GDB harness. This
>>> outrages me. Its great Ann Taylor has issued an apology, but what about
>>> issueing national wide policies for this not to happen again?
>>>
>>> I know this was in STL, but Ann Taylor's are all over the country. Anyone
>>> while at convention want to visit a ann Taylor in a group? I won't have
>>> Emma
>>> with me, or I would go too. What would they do with 5 or 6 or more guide
>>> dog
>>> teams? LOL
>>>
>>> Marsha

>>> (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/ann-taylor-becky-andrews-dog_n_161
>>> 2366.html?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl15|sec1_lnk3&pLid=1715