[nagdu] Groomer or Play date!

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:11:19 UTC 2012

Cindy,

I too have received dogs from schools that do not teach out of harness
guiding. But over the years I am finding this is a good skill for our dogs
to have. For example, I live in a condo sort of area, so in order to get to
the trash I have to go down the sidewalk, around a corner, and down another
sidewalk. I have taught Em to guide when I do not have my cane in the
situation I need to go to the trash. Or if I take Em to park out my back
deck, its all grass. And there have been times when I have asked her to go
home, and she will visit a neighbors, so then I have to get back home. I
don't have my cane, and she is not in harness, but she does really well over
grass in this guiding. Yes granted she doesn't do it well, nor did the
school teach her this skill, but the pups do pick up on it. I am not
recommending it for long walks, but it does have its applications. What if
you were at home, and for some reason you had to get out of the house
immediately, you couldn't get to the harness, but needed your pup to guide.
Yes I do agree that the public does see our pups as working guides when in
harness, but that harness does not also mean that they aren't working, or
that they aren't a guide any longer.

I am not trying to convince you, just giving more ways to look at out of
harness guiding.

2cents,
Marsha