[nagdu] micromanaging your dog

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sun Mar 4 16:58:00 UTC 2012

Hi Julie,
I would have to agree with your insight.  So, with this in mind, can this
result in, or have the potential to impact that bond or bonding process?  I
am really thinking of new handlers with dogs matched within the past year as
this seems to be, and is most often the most critical period.  I guess in
part what I am thinking, is if there is a correlation with unsuccessful
teams and micromanagement, versus successful teams and less micromanagement?
As you noted, our guides are still dogs, and dogs will be dogs, but
management of their behaviors is in part, what we need to be good handlers.
Taking this to another level and micromanaging, from my viewpoint, may have
a potential to have negative consequences on the success of that team.
However, it also, I suppose, has to do with the type of handler one is, but
more importantly the type of dog...not the breed, but how the dog can deal
with this level of management that it has never been exposed to in its
overall training.  I think we all have seen or witnessed how others manage
their dog, and think to ourselves, I would never do that, and realize that
this is a choice that they have made, and may indeed be a part of their
overall training.  I just find this an interesting subject as the last thing
we want as handlers, is to put undue stress on our guides, and from my
perspective, micromanagement has the potential to do this.

Steve