[nagdu] micromanaging your dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Mar 4 16:40:08 UTC 2012

Steve,

This is something I've been thinking about and working through lately.
I think in the beginning of team formation a higher level of management
on the part of the human is frequently necessary.   Then we sort of get
in the habit of providing that same level of management not because it's
necessary, but because that is just the way we've always done it.  I
don't think it's a deliberate or conscious thing, like I'm going to
micromanage my dog because he is stupid and untrustworthy.  Nobody
thinks I have to control my dog's every action or he'll go totally
nutters, pee on the floor, jump up on old ladies and steal candy from
little kids.   Or at least I hope those aren't actual daily concerns.  I
do think there is a load of pressure on guide dog handlers to keep their
dog's behavior at a level near perfection.  We all know that dogs are
dogs and they aren't perfect, still that is what is expected.
Micromanaging the dog is a fear response I think.  It's a way for us to
try to  guarantee that no mistakes will happen.  the thing we overlook
is that humans make mistakes too!

I wrote more about this idea in the recent thread about cooperation vs.
force.  I've been closely examining everything I do with Monty lately to
see what is truly functional and what is just leftover from his earlier
training days.  I'm clearing out what is no longer necessary and
replacing it with what works now.

Julie